Furnace repairs you can do yourself – and some you Can’t
Not everything that goes wrong with a furnace means you have to call for professional help. There are things everybody can do for themselves, and there are other things that anyone reasonably handy can do – and then there are the times when you need us. Let’s take a look at some of these.
Things (almost) anybody can do themselves
- Check the fuses/circuit breakers – at the main panel. Blown or tripped? Fix or restore.
- Is there a switch somewhere that’s supposed to be on that is, in fact, off? There are people who call out a technician to turn the switch on, but not many.
- Make sure the thermostat is set at the temperature you want it at, that the registers are open and that they’re not blocked by furniture or drapes. (It doesn’t matter how warm the air is, it can’t get through a closed or blocked register).
- If the blower simply won’t stop, look at your thermostat and make sure it’s set to AUTO, and not ON.
Things the reasonably handy can do themselves
- Dirty filters and clogged blower assemblies get in the way of good central heating performance. If they are dirty enough or clogged enough, they do more than get in the way; they stop it working entirely. A competent handy person can clean a filter and clear a blower assembly without too much trouble. And filters do need regular replacement.
When you need a professional
For almost anything not covered above, you need a professional. Unless you’d rather not deal with it and risk breaking your furnace, please contact us any time.
If you’re in or around Elgin, Illinois, you need Climate Control Services. When only absolute professionalism will do, we are here.